Summer Professional Development
Summer 2017 Workshop Series, May 30 - June 9
Visual, Media and Digital Literacies in the Foreign Language Classroom
The 2017 CERCLL Summer Workshop series will focus on the ways in which different forms of literacy can be incorporated into the language classroom.
“Like” CERCLL's facebook page between now and May 15 to enter a drawing for a free workshop registration of your choice (the draw is on May 15; if you have already paid, we will refund a registration fee). Participants may take part in one, all, or any combination of workshops in the series.
There is a competition for travel awards for participants attending Dr. Warner's workshop on June 6-7. The deadline to submit an application is May 5. For details about how to apply, click here.
All workshops take place on the University of Arizona campus from 9 am to 4 pm each day; participants can also take part in the event on June 8th online.
Continuing Education Certificates are provided after each workshop–6 hours each day.
- May 30-31, Elyse Petit (University of Arizona), Give a Voice to Students: Implementing Digital Storytelling in Foreign/Second Language Classrooms
- June 1-2, Sébastien Dubreil (Carnegie Mellon University), Culture Frames: Using Film and Video in the L2 Classroom
- June 5, Beatrice Dupuy (University of Arizona), Digital Social Reading: Reading and Viewing Together
- June 6-7, Chantelle Warner (University of Arizona), Foreign Languages and the Literary in the Everyday: Teaching in the L2 Classroom See below for details about travel scholarships for June 6-7.
- June 8, Jonathon Reinhardt (University of Arizona), Gameful Foreign Language Teaching: Engaging Learners with Digital Insights This workshop can be attended in person or online.
- June 9, Maker Day: An additional day of making materials and lessons based on the workshop series, guided by CERCLL Co-Directors Beatrice Dupuy and Chantelle Warner.
To begin the registration process, click on the button:
Until April 30th, registration fees for the summer workshops are $15 per day except for June 8th which is $15 to attend in person or $10 to attend online, and June 9th which is free. (June 9th is only intended for participants who have attended one or more of the workshops between May 30th and June 8th.) Fees increase by $5 per day beginning May 1, 2017.
The fees include any materials shared by the presenters and lunch on each workshop day for those attending in person (except for June 9th, when there is no lunch provided).
Refund Policy: A 50% refund is available through May 1. After that date, the fees are no longer refundable. To be eligible for the refund, all cancellation requests must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include the date(s) you wish to cancel.
There are several places close to the University of Arizona at which you may wish to make arrangements for lodging. The two closest hotels are the Aloft Tucson University and the Tucson University Park hotel. A cheaper option that is often used by University of Arizona groups is the Riverpark Inn (it is further away from the university, but on the streetcar line that travels right through campus so transportation is easy and inexpensive).
Visitors may also consider staying in the University of Arizona Coronado Hall where rates are $43 per night for a single room including linens, or $38 per night per person for double occupancy. Renovated in 2012/2013, the Coronado dorm has shared bathrooms (just two to four people per bathroom) and a shared full kitchen open to residents. If you select this option, please reserve a room using the individual guest request form button here. Towards the end of the reservations request process you will be asked to enter your purpose for being on campus; please note there that you are attending the CERCLL workshops.
If you are not already on CERCLL's mailing list, click here to add yourself. Also like us on facebook and follow us on twitter to see announcements about these workshops and other language-related opportunities.
Summer Workshop Series Archives
Time: May 30th, 9:00AM US/Arizona - 4:00PM, May 31, 2017